Have you considered walking and cycling?
Most walking and cycling routes from Earley will remain unaffected during the works. Where possible for those that are affected an alternative provision will be provided.
How far is it to the train station?
An adult could expect to take 2,400 steps in each direction from the Maiden Erleigh area to Earley train station or from Kilnsea Drive to Winnersh Triangle train station / Park and Ride.
What are the benefits?
- If you walk or cycle, there is no need to pay for parking and you save on fuel costs too!
- Walking and Cycling contribute towards the recommended 150 minutes of physical activity a week (NHS)
- It improves your mental health - A study by the YMCA shows people who had a physically active lifestyle had a well-being score 32% higher than inactive individuals.
- It cuts your risk of heart disease and cancer – by getting blood pumping around your body and burning calories, you reduce your chances of being overweight, this in turn reduces your chances of developing major illnesses.
- It saves time – when traffic starts to queue, pedestrians and cyclists can keep moving and skip the queues
- Extend the benefits - Activity trackers are a popular way to measure the number of steps you take. If you own an activity tracker, you may be able to extend the benefits by linking them to schemes like Vitality Health Insurance, where you can turn active travel into rewards for cinema tickets, Starbucks and discounts on Ocado shopping.
Plan your journey
- A copy of the local cycling network can be downloaded opposite under Related Downloads.
- Use the My Journey Planner to plan your route
Need some help getting back in the saddle?
The My Journey team can help. We have a number of loan bikes, which can be loaned free, along with helmets and bike locks available for Wokingham residents, or those employed by a Wokingham based company.
If you have never learnt to ride or it has been a while and want to improve you confidence, check our events page to find out when our next adult training courses are taking place.
Maybe your bike just needs some TLC, if so check out our events page for when Dr Bike will be at an event near you. Dr Bike will check your bike for free. If you need accessories or parts contact us for a 10% off voucher for Berkshire Bikes.
If you need any further help getting back in the saddle contact us.