“Scooter Heroes” in Wokingham Without
Following a successful trial last term scooter training has been included as part of the road safety programme this year.
The sessions are delivered by Wokingham Borough Council community wardens who have been trained to deliver the classes… and love their adult scooters! The wardens have been busy throughout the spring term training year 1 pupils at Wokingham Without primary schools.
The sessions are run on the playground during lesson time and the children take home a Scooter Heroes sticker, workbook with parents’ guide and a certificate. Parents are encouraged to help their child complete the challenges and activities at home, and think about the ways in which they can become a Scooter Hero too.
By the end of the training session objectives are that children will:
- be able to use two different ways of stopping safely
- be able to balance on their scooters and control their speed
- develop an awareness of the hazards associated with scooting, including scooting along a pavement and crossing a road
- pass pedestrians politely
- exercise the value of sharing their scooter
The sessions over spring term have proved a great success and the training will be rolled out to other schools during the summer and autumn term. School cluster coordinators will be contacting schools to book these sessions.
“…my daughter really enjoyed it… she is much more keen to go on the scooter and is now using her feet correctly.”