"We found completing the Bronze accreditation really useful in reflecting on all the ways in which Highwood Primary School is already encouraging sustainable travel and enabled us to see what changes we could make and things we can put it place to develop it further.” Kat Belcher, Parent Support Adviser (Highwood Primary School)
The My Journey and Road Safety teams at Wokingham Borough Council can provide support and advice to schools to help encourage safe and sustainable travel. This page provides an outline on the range of support available for Wokingham schools.
- National Modeshift STARS accreditation
- ‘Travel Champions’ student programme – helping to develop transferable skills
- Travel information for parents and pupils
- Road safety assemblies, workshops, Theatre in Education and resources
- Establishing a walking bus to the school
- Exploring ‘Park and Stride’ options
- Sustainable travel assemblies
- Scooter Training
- Support establishing a walking bus at the school
- Bikeability training (Level 1, 2 and 3)
- Balance Bike sessions
- Learn to Ride sessions
- Bike maintenance lessons
- Led rides
- Cycle Focus Days
- Geography – route planning/cycling adventures/cycling comparisons between countries
- Science – smoothie bike, how does it work and nutrition
- History – local history walk/bike ride
- Music – making instruments with old bike parts
New Pupil Focused:
Information on recommended actions for schools to encourage new pupils to travel sustainably can be found here.
If you would like any more information on any of the initiatives above, please contact us.